From whose point of view should we write this post?

Thursday, November 10, 2011

First Person Post



The Journal of Hubert Wellington, October 1916
As soon as I become of age, I am going to join the army. I will travel to far-off lands, fight the enemy and bring glory to my country.
I will be a hero just like Father.
He has been at the Western front for a few months now. In the beginning, Mother and I would count the days he'd been away from home. Each day mother would say how much harder things had become now that our sole bread-winner was gone.
Sometime after the third month, mother stopped counting. She went to work in a factory and started calling me the man of the house. Occasionally intimidates me - so much responsibility and I am only twelve! I know though, that I need to be strong and make Father proud.
Mother believes that each and every person should be making a contribution to the war effort. That is what the administration at school say too. They have special lessons where we read from government pamphlets about the Great War and the valour of our soldiers. My school also says that we children can make a 'direct impact on the financial state of the Australian government'. This means selling stamps and coupons. Hundreds of children are doing it, and already, I am told, we have gathered a considerable sum of money.
I know that I am doing all that I can - and that mother is too. I understand though, that it is not enough. 
That is why, when I grow up, I am going to go to war. I want to save my country and be a hero just as Father is.

No comments:

Post a Comment